Rebuilding tips

Todd Humphreys

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm in the process of reringing my 1982 75hp johnny, what sealant should be used to seal the block? Next, is it a no no to use RTV sealant on the gaskets to help hold them in place or should all gaskets be installed dry? Finally, I noticed that alot of the bolts has the OMC peanut butter on the threads, is this necessary or can I use never seize (graphite) or is locktite suitable? Thanks to all the great info from this site. :confused:

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: Rebuilding tips

Gel-seal is the proper sealent for the crank case halve's. OMC gasket sealer on the gasket's accept for the manifold gaskets( dry) As for the cylinder head, I could never keep this straight! you either use sealer on odd, or even day's. Joking aside! when using gel-seal,start with a fresh tube, make sure the surface is absolutly clean, and primed with loc-tite primer. Wash your hand's of grease, or solvent. The last place you want a leak is between the case halve's. I'm not joking about washing your hand's.

marinemech

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Rebuilding tips

use gasket sealing compound on head gasket wether it says "do not use sealer" or not gaskets can dry while in parts dept. using gscp will remoisten gasket<br />also use gscp on bolts it makes them easy to remove later