check engine light still coming on...

bartlett25

Recruit
Please advise, The engine is a 2000 150 ficht.<br />I have been getting "check engine light" coming on each time I run more at 4000+ rpm for more than 5 minutes. I took it to dealer they checked the codes and said the voltage was too high 16+volts and the engine was getting too hot ~320 degrees. They said the cause was a bad emm. Had them replace the emm unit, both batteries and do an overall service tune up. I was hoping the issue was over. First time I took it out after the "fix" the light came on just like before. The engine runs fine at all rpm ranges and the light will either stay on after the signal or go out and come back on if I keep running for several miles. I checked back with the dealer and they said I was probably a bad sensor since the temp light never came on and the engine seems to run fine. They said bring it back and they will check the codes again, but I don't know if I should trust their judgement anymore...

marinemech

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: check engine light still coming on...

you can read the code(S) yourself<br />turn on key<br />remove throttle position sensor<br />advance and hold tps to max<br />check engine light will flash code<br />other possibility is a bad gauge

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

There are quite a few things that can turn a CHECK ENGINE lite on from a bad barometric pressure sensor to water in the filter.<br /><br />Use a voltmeter on your battery to make sure it is not overcharging still. The dealer can hook up the laptop or PDA and quickly find out what the error codes are for. Ask for a computer printout of the EMM that they can do.

bartlett25

Recruit

Thanks guys. I will check the codes and check the batteries. BTW, The voltage gauge says ~14.9-15.1 when runnig at full rpm which I assume is in the normal range? I'll take my codes and check it against the results they get and see if we can work it out.<br />Thanks again...I'll ask for the EMM printout too.

Mich H20s

Cadet

Bartlett25....What ever became of your problem? I recently acquired a similar problem in my '96 150

DHPMARINE

Captain

Mich First make certain your battery is rated high enough.Then make sure the cables are attached with nuts and star washers,not wing nuts.<br />Change the spin on fuel filter,and go from there.<br /><br />DHP

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Mich H2Os,<br /><br />Your '96 150 is not a computer controlled motor like the FICHT. A CHECK ENGINE lite on yours can only mean a fuel restriction in the plumbing somewhere.

bollard

Seaman

I would check the codes yourself per the TPS method. Also, if you have a (OMC) service manual it may help you. Sometimes one bad sensor will spawn a bunch of error codes which are "false" after the fist real one.<br /><br />I have had a bad/misadjusted crank position sensor set these types of codes. Sometimes as the engine gets hot, the air-gap changes and causes misfires. Look carefully at the tach and you may see the "misfires" that you can not feel. After a certain number of these the code sets, along with others that are not related such as overvoltage in my case.

Mich H20s

Cadet

Thanks, I appreciate the Info. I know its a fuel restriction somewhere but I cannot seem to find it. When it first occured about a month ago, I took it to the dealer hoping for a quick fix as fishing season was in full swing. They found nothing wrong however adjusted the timing. Check engine light still coming on...Replaced the fuel filter...replaced the fuel vacuum switch...stabilizer and sea foam in fuel...inspect all fuel lines and connections around primer ball...next I plan on replacing the primer ball itself. I do have the manual and use consistently... Any other hints would be appreciated!