Sorry, but a couple VRO questions

Cortes165

Seaman
I purchased a boat that had a complete engine rebuild by a reputable EVI dealer (seen the bills and talked with the dealer).The previous owner had not even put the unit in the water yet. I have read a lot about the VRO but still have a couple questions. I followed the whole breakin process. Running 50/1 in the fuel tank, it was interesting watching the oil tank. The amazing thing is these setups do not use a lot of oil. I am a snowmobiler and am used to using way more oil in my 2 strokes. <br />Engine is a '91, Evin 100 #VE100SLEIE. There are 4 wires coming from the vro, black, white, purple (turqouise) and a light cream color. I have tested the horn via the tan wire on the head.<br />Does this sound like the original VRO setup??? <br />How much oil should the system be using???<br />It was tested at the dealership for flow rates.<br />Now that I'm running straight fuel, I rarely see exhaust smoke. (smoke means oil).<br />The oil levels do drop but doesn't seem like a lot. I could pre mix to get rid of all the questions, but one reason I purchased this is because I wanted an auto oiling system.<br /> :D

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: Sorry, but a couple VRO questions

Go to the "Engine FAQ" section, part F., about the VRO and you can determine which pump you have and learn how the system operates. Since the motor was rebuilt, I would recommend installing the new pump ( which would also give you a 1 year parts and labor warranty) to be on the safe side. That is just like rebuilding V8-V6 car or marine motors and installing a new oil pump for reliability.

Cortes165

Seaman

Thanks seahorse. I will try to figure out by your notes in the "faq". According to those notes, the mixture varies between 50 and 100/1. Even in the manual, it says you can run this engine without oil, as long as you stay under 1500 rpm. Yikes. Personnally i would never do that. I would rather paddle.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

I agree with seahorse on the new pump. Quick way to determine which pump is on the engine is to look at the wiring harness coming from the pump. If it's a four wire harness, you have a fairly new pump on it. This pump most likely pumps at 50:1 at all speeds. Also, what oil are you using? If using a blend synthetic or all synthetic, you won't see much exhaust smoke at all.<br /><br />Can you tell us why the engine was rebuilt?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

I think the 4 wire pump came out in 1991 or 1992 which could put his pump as old as 13 years.

Cortes165

Seaman

yes it does have 4 wires.<br />Yes i use synthetic.<br />And the reason for rebuild is not clear. I hate that part. The previous owner just told me it didn't run great. The dealer of course had lots of theories but.....All I know for sure is the block was bored, all new pistons, bearings, carb kits, water pump, vro check up. The dealer is standing behind his work even though I am a different owner, in case of any problems. So far i have about 25 hours on it and it runs great.

marinemech

Petty Officer 1st Class

vro pumps vary<br />if out let nozzle is removable its the latest avaiable should run around 50:1 also grey outlet(i think)these are fixed ratio pumps<br />if nozzle is brown its a second generation pump runs between 50:1 and 100:1

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Marinemech,<br /><br />Read over the "Engine FAQ" section, part F. about the VRO pump and its history. It says that even the gray and removable fuel outlet pumps will vary the ratio from 75:1 to 50:1.