'97 Johnson 4 hp stuck in forward

drsun

Cadet
Model J4REE stuck in forward. Gear shift lever goes from neutral to forward ok. Pulled lower unit and gear shift lever appears to work normally(the shift shaft moves up and down with gear shift lever actuation). The shaft for the shift lever appears to just go into the gear box through a small hole but is not attached by a screw or bolt. I'm not familiar with this engine and wonder how it should be attached. Any idea what the problem is or where I could find an online diagram. Thanks.

drsun

Cadet
Re: '97 Johnson 4 hp stuck in forward

Anybody have any suggestions for other forums that might be of some help. I guess this is not an engine that many people are familiar with. Thanks for any ideeas.

Walker

Captain

Did you try to shift the L/U when you had it off??

drsun

Cadet

Don't know how to shift lower unit as it is different from larger units I'm familiar with; ie. there is no shift rod coming out of lower unit. The shift rod from the upper unit just fits into a hole just aft of the water pump.

drsun

Cadet

Pulled the gearcase head assembly off and found a broken clutch spring; anyone know of good online source for discounted parts with fast service?