Johnson 50 '84, engine block removal

maggun

Seaman Apprentice
Johnson 50 '84, Mod. nr. J50BELCRM<br /><br />Im having slight difficulties removing the block.<br /><br />I have unscrewed all the bolts that I think is relevant, that is 8 bolts on each side, and there were also 3 smaller bolts/nuts on the back of the engine that I removed. However, one of the 8 bolts snapped right at the start, so it is still fastened all the way up. From the looks at the other bolts, its threads is only at the very end. So as the head snapped, I will still be able to pull the block off, without the risk of breaking something serious? Or should I handle this, how?<br /><br />It still seems to stick to the point that I don't want to use too much force in fear of breaking something inreparable. Again, can the one bolt cause this?<br /><br />Do I have to remove the engine from the mounting on the boat before removing the block? To me it looks as the section between the block and the lower exhaust section that is somehow connected with the engine mounting.<br /><br />Another albeit unrelated question, I wonder if pulling the flywheel is as easy as mounting it. Will I mess with the timing, or will the key pin handle it, and no worries? I am aware it's a silly question, but rather that than making things hard for me.<br /><br />Thanks

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson 50 '84, engine block removal

Slow down. Take a look in your service manual. There are 4 long bolts on each side and a nut on a stud in the rear. You need to remove the lower covers. I believe there are 2 pan mount bolts on the bottom of the head. Those along with the shift linkage will allow you to remove the powerhead.<br /><br />If one of the long bolts broke, it may be corroded or salted in place holding on even though the head of the bolt is gone.<br /><br />You dont want to remove the motor from the boat.

maggun

Seaman Apprentice

Im sorry about some incorrect info, and I also see that I have left out a important detail. So a small update is in place. It's been a month or so since I did this so that's my excuse on this one.<br /><br />There is of course 4 bolts on each side and not 8. And as you say the one smaller nut on a stud, is also unscrewed. The shift linkage is also clear. The side panels is removed to get to the bolts, and hence is also removed.<br /><br />The service manual does not specifically discuss this area, it does go into detail about the powerhead itself though.<br /><br />It sounds as if I just need to find some equipment to really pull the powerhead.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I'll bet you don't have the OMC shop manual.