Can a 1966 33hp Ski-Twin use the newer style gear set?

halvorja

Recruit
I have a 1966 33hp Ski-Twin (manual shift) with a worn clutch dog and forward gear. Is it possible to get an entirely new gear set with the better designed clutch dog engagement? If so, what years will work?<br /><br /> As a side note, is it possible to machine the edges of the clutch dog and forward gear so the gear won't pop out? Anybody tried this? <br /><br /> Thanks,<br /> Jake

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: Can a 1966 33hp Ski-Twin use the newer style gear set?

Are you talking about the 3 lug dog, and gear? If so, I don't know if that is available for that year engine. As for machineing the lugs'. I have seen this done, but I don't know how long they would last. It would depend on how deep the hardening goes on these surface's. They would also need to be cut an equal amount, or you would end up just holding with one lug.

halvorja

Recruit

Thanks for the info. I have an extra gear set that also has a worn dog, and I may try to get this machined since there is nothing to lose.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Jake

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Jake! Here's another fix, simply turn the dog around, and adjust the shift linkage for maximum forward engagement. As you said! whats to lose.