Is this any good?

Namcali

Seaman
I am searching for a decent repair manual for my engine. Came accoss this:<br /><br />
3970838.jpeg
<br /><br />is it good? Has anyone used this manual before? what do you think?<br /><br />I bought a Seloc manual before but for wrong model year so I need another one.<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Nam

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: Is this any good?

Iboats used to carry that manual and the Seloc one. They don't anymore - now they just have the Seloc one.<br /><br />I've got the Seloc one that covers your engine, and it's been pretty good to me. Better than the Clymers down at the library, but not much.<br />The best is the factory manuals. They're a little pricey, but really good and specific to your engine. You can get them from one of these places:<br />TheOutboardWizard<br />Mastertech<br />Marine Engine<br />Ken Cook <br />I don't see any on ebay right now, but if you're patient you can often pick them up there for around $15 used.<br /><br />PS - Great avatar! :)

alcan

Commander

Hi Nam <br />My opinion is that both brands Clymer and Seloc are exellent manuals. Both give about as detailed info as any. The book you have pictured will do just fine for your motor. Now, the trouble with these after market manuals is they give so much info on so many models and years, that novices tend to get info over load. Because a person is a novice they don't know what type system there motor has or doesn't have. Some folks have a hard time determining when the book starts to describe another system. Auto manuals do the same thing. Some cars have automatic trans, others have a stick, all the same brand and model and all are covered in the same book. I suggest folks sit down and study their manuals, away from the shop. Then go to the shop and study the motor. Then back to the book again. Give yourself time to learn before you pick up the tools. No book is a magic wand,no manual will tell you what is wrong with your motor nor will they tell you how to fix it. The best they can do is tell you how the motor is supposed to come apart and go back together. They will give you tests, procedures and ideas on what to look for as far as sub-standard (worn) parts. After that the rest is up to you. I was a novice once myself. Matter of fact I am still learning.

Namcali

Seaman

Thanks Paul, alcan, and bubbakat for your promply assistant. I do have a seloc manual but that's the only manual I have for this marine engine with a wrong model year so I don't really know how to compare it to others. Having said this, I think I will go with the factory manual. Alcan, I heard you on the part that generic manuals cover so manything and it's hard to focus.<br /><br />At least I am getting somewhere.<br /><br />Nam