1984 50hp Evinrude won't run at idle

Buzznsue

Recruit
When I first start my 1984 50hp Evinrude with the fast idle lever up it races exactly like it does if I run it out of gasoline to store it. Choking it may help but sometimes not. Once I get it in gear and open the throttle it seems to run normally. When I come off of high speed to near idle it dies. Often it won't restart for awhile. The fuel lines are clear, the fuel pump and screen look ok, and sqeezing the fuel line bulb has no effect. At one point when I was working on it the other day it ran normally for several minutes with the fast idle lever up. It idled and restarted ok. Next time I started the motor it went back to racing and then dying out. What do I check next?

voodoo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1984 50hp Evinrude won't run at idle

clean your carbs. your low speed jets a probably blocked

fireman57

Captain
Re: 1984 50hp Evinrude won't run at idle

I just had the same problem on my 25hp. There was a tiny flap torn on my fuel pump diaphram. It was very difficult to detect. i had hard starts. Idled fine for a while then died. Hard start again. had to choke but ran fine at WOT. Fuel pump kit for mine was 18 dollars and change.<br />I know you said that it looked fine but so did mine until I pushed around lightly on it with a broken toothpick and found the slight tear.