What is the compression supposed to be?

madbanchee

Seaman
What is the compression supposed to be on a 1989 Evinrude 150 XP (E150STL)? I did a compression test (without warming the engine first) and all port side cylinders were 90 and starboard was 100. Just thinking about this now, I probably should have warmed the engine first, but I'll do it again later and compare my results. I will try the OMC EngineTune and check a third time. For now though, does anyone know what the compression should be and what it might mean when one whole side is lower than the other? The plugs all appear the same, a little blackened (sooty) around the metal part of the plug while the electrodes look mostly gray with a slight reddish tinge. They all seem dry and I haven't seen any metal depositson any of them.

G DANE

Commander
Re: What is the compression supposed to be?

I think your are fine. A lot of healthy V6'es has compression around 95 on all. My manual says to compare cylinders at each bank to eachother.

madbanchee

Seaman

I thought it was supposed to be a lot higher than that... something like 120 or 130 but I've also heard of others speaking of 100 so thanks for the feedback.<br /><br />Does anyone know what it might mean when one whole bank is lower than the other? I remember reading somewhere an explaination for this but I can't find it again.

phatmanmike

Captain

man, if that v6 had 140lbs compression.....<br /><br />my inline 6 merc has 160 in all 6<br />my 50hp evinrude has 150 in both <br />and my 6hp johnson has 130 in both<br /><br />most of the big v6's usually only have about 100. just make sure they are even, all should be within 10% of each other