Motor Died

bozzanddww3

Seaman
I have a pontoon boat with a Johnson 70hp motor one it. It's a 1978 model, serial number 4716659. Anyway, I just bought this boat Wednesday, September 8, 2004 and today was the first day I put it in the water. Took the whole family of 5 out with me for a day on the lake. I put the baot int he water, started it right up and was sailing up the river when I decided to light a cigarette using the dashboard lighter. As soon as I pushed the lighter in, the boat motor died and never started again. Got pulled in by another boat. I checked the plug wires and there was no fire to the plugs. I looked everywhere for a fuse or circuit breaker with no results. Can someone please think of something that I can do or check to find out what happened?

bozzanddww3

Seaman
Re: Motor Died

Sorry, I need to change that motor brand to Mercury. Will try the Mercury page. Thnx!! At any rate, if anybody has any duggestions here, I am most thankful for anything to try!

603tehe

Cadet

Sounds like a ground problem. Your going to need to do some testing with a volt/ohm meter.<br /> Lots of wire!

dolluper

Captain

the lighter is hot all the time [hot wiring]the lighter body has more than likly caused a short like has grounded out causing no start old lighters cause this problems in cars also