66 rude 40 hp hesistates

russeller

Petty Officer 1st Class
hesistates at wot could it be bad coil does not do it at idle does it at half throttle to coil or gas? how would i check the coil ?

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: 66 rude 40 hp hesistates

Sure could be something arcing over. Check spark plug leads for cracks,etc (ie, run at night and look).<br />Coils will have cracks in the insulation if they're bad. Only way to test is with a HV leak tester, which is not a common test instrument.<br /><br />When it's hesitating, do you have enough time to squirt some premix down the carb's throat to see if it picks up? Or bump the choke?

chicken louie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i had a wot loss of power and repaired everything i could, turned out to be dirty carbs, a much cheaper repair, had i done the carbs first.

russeller

Petty Officer 1st Class

i can make time to try that i have not checked for cracks in the wires i will have to check it out tomorrow i will have to pull the fly wheel off and try to see if i see anything<br />i hope i can fix it

Paul Moir

Admiral

They're pretty easy to fix if they are bad. Just line them up nice and even with the bosses they sit on.<br />Cheap too. $17 each at Iboats or NAPA. Might want to replace the spark plug wire too while it's off.<br />Use metal core stuff, eh. No automotive wire.