9.5 gears seal waterpump gasket

dirty nails

Recruit
Motor is MQ-13M 1967 9.5 seahorse, recently acquired. Have the lower end apart; kept slipping out of foward gear at half throttle. Thought it was going to be the dog, like has been discussed. However, dog is ok but front bearing was worn out to an oval shape and outer lip on rear edge of bearing had broken off. Gears are slightly knicked and surfaces have some shallow corrosion pits. Gearcase leaked and oil was milky, I believe a long-term problem. Small pieces of front bearing lip found in bottom of gear case. Soft metal bushings are scored where the prop shaft exits case and at lower end of drive shaft. I have replacement front bearing. Any ideas on whether I should reassemble or try to replace gears, etc? I've assembled same era motorcycle gear boxes with worse looking parts and nothing exploded. Also, any suggestions on how to replace the shift rod o-ring? The case around the bushing up by the waterpump has small punch marks around the edge of the bushing, locking it in place. Finally, should a sealant be applied to the paper gasket that fits below the waterpump.

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 9.5 gears seal waterpump gasket

Welcome to iboats, IMHO, the gears should be ok. Now that little bushing is a bear to get out. It requires a special punch to get it out. What I did on my 30 hp was took 3 pieces of wire about 8 in. long, made a 90 degree bend about 3/8 in. from end. Slipped the bent ends between o-ring and bushing 12 4 8 o"clock positions. Then from other edd slipped a tapered punch in center. This held wires in place also I was able to tap on punch to knock out bushing. Worked great for me. I used a 1/2in. wood dowell to knock bushing back in. As far as sealer some don't seal some do. I do and I use the aviation form-a-gasket in the bottle with brush. <br /><br />Hope this helps.