1978 v4 115 johnson no start

nektwister

Seaman Apprentice
Hi the 115 in qeustion was running fine and it suddenly died while warming up the other nite on the river. After numerous attempts to restart it never would fire up. I just finished installing a new ignition and cut off switch the day before and the motor ran fine in the yard. I brought the boat home and bypass the cut off switch thinking this could have been the problem but still no luck I pulled the plug wire off of the number 1 and the wire was bad but I'm not getting fire at all motor spins just like when the cut off went bad the coils are really old and the portside power pack has been replaced but the starboard side has not also plenty of gas is going through any help is always and greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone :)

Boilermaker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1978 v4 115 johnson no start

I'm no expert but,I'll try & help.>>><br />Well, the first thing would be to check for ignition>>>do you get spark??? I'm not sure what you mean by "...I pulled the plug wire off of the number 1 and the wire was bad..."<br />I would suspect the new switch installation, if everything was ok prior to your work. Check for loose or bad connections, or shorts to ground at the switch leads.<br />Check Ignition spark & compression. Compression + Fuel + Ignition = some kind of engine run.<br />Good luck & let us know ;)

nektwister

Seaman Apprentice

okay checked around the forum and saw numerous similar problems I unplugged the main engine harness and jump the starter boat motor fired off immediately I geuss i have a short to ground problem ya think or the kill switch i put in is bad try to bypass that tomorrow and work my way back slowly . Thanks

nektwister

Seaman Apprentice

okay checked around the forum and saw numerous similar problems I unplugged the main engine harness and jump the starter boat motor fired off immediately I geuss i have a short to ground problem ya think or the kill switch i put in is bad try to bypass that tomorrow and work my way back slowly . Thanks