1992 Johnson 200

houndawg

Cadet
I have a 1992 johnson 200,model #vj200slnes<br />is this a looper? a gt?<br />what should max rpm be?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1992 Johnson 200

Double check the model number. A 1992 should be "en" not "ne". The "200s" designates an XP or GT. Since its a Johnson its a GT. The final "s" means a certian run, nothing important generally.<br /><br />Its an open deck big bore V6 looper. The pack should limit at 6700. The heads should be casting number 333108 with the 3108 hand stamped over a milled area.<br /><br />Great motors. Good luck!

houndawg

Cadet

Thanks,you're right about the model #.<br />Its on a 20' stratos 201 pro with a jack plate,<br />when i got the boat about a month ago it had a <br />21 pitch prop & would turn about 6500 on the<br />lake,i was told this was too many rpms & should<br />not turn it past 5500.I went to a 25 pitch<br />renegade 4 blade & had to drop the motor to<br />get it to plane,also moved the trolling batteries<br />to the front to help this,sure dont feel as<br />fast now....any idea what I should turn this<br />old engine at wot?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

First of all I'd put it back exactly like it was. Good hull. Should have a step and a pad. I'm kinda suprised you had to drop the motor with the Renagade. Usually a decent prop. <br /><br />Lets see, its lived at a set up of 6500 for 12 years. So why would we want to change it??? Seriously, its fine as it was. Theres no reason not to go with that set up. We may improve on it but propping it to 5500 will probably kill it. Speed-wise and longevity-wise. Sounds like it was pretty well balanced too.<br /><br />Put it back and establish a baseline. GPS speed, water pressure, handling, ride, feel etc.<br /><br />What brand prop is the 21? We assume it was a 3 blade?

houndawg

Cadet

I dont know the brand of prop that came on it<br />it's just a aluminum 14 1/4 x 21 3 blade,thought <br />dealer might have just stuck it on there for the <br />sale after seeing the rpms,I would like to try a <br />ss prop about the same..any suggestions? raker 22<br />? also the pee hole on the motor is wide open<br />so the gauge doesnt work,what size hole should be<br />there? I can restrict it some & see the gauge <br />go up.<br />thanks

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Wow, an aluminum prop on that rig. Oh well, no big deal. I'm sure youll want to upgrade to some type ss prop. A Raker is a good choice. So is a Turbo.<br /><br />The water pressure gauge on a looper is not tied into the overboard indicator. It has a specific place in the adaptor plate under the powerhead to pick up the perssure. Get that corrected ASAP. It sounds like you bought this from a dealer so he should correct that as its basic rigging 101.