Johnson 10hp won't start

wai

Cadet
I have an older model 10hp Johnson that would not start... I clean the carb. check there is spark, but it seems there is no gas going through at the spark plugs, no matter how long I try to pull start it, then check the spark plugs and they are dry that tell me there is no gas... but there is gas going through the carb, because I can see some gas drips... please someone can tell what I did wrong... thanks in advance

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: Johnson 10hp won't start

Welcome to Iboats, Wai.<br /><br />Put some fuel:eek:il mix (24:1 for your engine) in a windex or other 'misting' bottle, and spray that down the carb's throat and crank the engine. That should tell you if it's a fuel delivery problem you have. You can also try taking the spark plugs out and firing a little mix directly in the cylinders to see if that will try to start.<br /><br />Can you get the sparks to jump 3/8"? Try it out. A very common problem with these engines is no spark under compression. Fortunetly, it's easily and inexpensively fixed.<br /><br />Could you please post your model number so we can be certain which outboard you're working on? Thanks!

wai

Cadet

Thanks Paul,.... I am new in this forum and this is great to have some one respond this quick... the motor is up at the cottage, I will try what you have said and I will post the model information next time...<br />what if it dosn't spark under compression, what is way to correct it... ignitor coil problem? thanks again.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Well, if it is a spark problem then you'll have to pull the flywheel to see what the problem is. Coils are often the problem (the insulation cracks due to age). Iboats sells them for about 15$USD each. You can get them from the dealer too, but my local one wanted over $40CDN each for them, so it was cheaper to buy them and ship them from the States.<br />To pull the flywheel to get at the ignition system, you need to use a puller that acts on the three bolt holes in the flywheel. A harmonic balancer puller works well, but you also need to buy three 3 or 4" long 1/4" x 20tpi bolts to go with it. Never, ever use any sort of puller that acts on the edge of the flywheel. Or use a hammer.<br />I expect that you're trying to figure out if the engine is worth fixing. If you decide yes, then your first purchase should be a service manual. In the mean time, see if you can borrow one from the local library.<br />Iboats sells the Seloc aftermarket manuals which are pretty good for the 10hp outboards, but the best are the original factory manuals. Once we figure out what year your engine is, you can get one from one of the following places:<br /><br />TheOutboardWizard<br />Mastertech<br />Marine Engine<br />Ken Cook <br /><br />In the mean time, have a look at this site:<br /> 1958 10hp site.