Can't ever get an asnwer here...??

captain537

Cadet
Hello<br />My 1998 has 1100+ hrs now and the original spark plug wires. I was going to replace them last time I de-carbed until I found out they are about 135.00 dollars each, YES 135.00 because each one has it's own coil.<br />How do you check them to make sure each one is carrying the voltage it is supposed to?<br />I used to use engine tuner to de carb, but after all the raving about Sea Foam deep creep, I tried it. You guys are ALL correct, I agree , it is an awesome product.<br />When you guys de carb, do you disassemble the O2 sensor too?? I do, cleaning that makes sooooooooo much difference in smooth running and smooth idle.<br />If anyone needs to know how to clean O2, let me know and I will walk ya thru it.<br />Thanx<br />Bruce<br /><br />--------------------<br />Captain

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Can't ever get an asnwer here...??

You will get better answers, Captain, if you ask questions straightforward and not merge them in with unnecessary information.<br /><br />What sort of 1998 do you have? your question about the ignition system needs to be in the correct Troubles/Repair forum.<br /><br />Let us know. :)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Hi captain. I just reviewed all your posts. You're right, not many answers. Hmm??<br />Sorry, but your motor is a bit too exotic, new, and expensive for me to have any helpful info.<br /><br />Sure sounds line you take good care of it, and put in a lot of hours on the water.<br /><br />A good shop manual should answer some of your questions, preferably an OEM manual from Yamaha.<br />Or make friends with a service tech??<br /><br />I would guess that not many others here have any solid info on your engine either.<br /><br />A new 2004 Yammy 2 stroke 200hp only has a compression ratio of 6.4:1, which I think would yield about 112 psi on a comp test. That is pretty low compared to other motors I have seen specs on. But maybe that is why the Yammies last so long.<br /><br />My Force 70hp is was at approx 8:1 when new(140psi).<br />I have seen others at 9 and a few at 10:1 (170psi).<br /><br />If nothing lets loose inside the engine, you may be able to do a minor(cheap, haha) rebuild when the compression starts to drop. I would just monitor it and watch for any major change.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to Yamaha troubles.