64 Evinrude 9.5HP question(s)

robertmchenry

Recruit
Just bougtht an 11' alum. boat, 9.5hp Evinrude with trailer for $300.00! Clean setup with a really good running Evinrude model 9422s that I have found to be a 1964 9.5hp.<br /><br />Engine starts up w/o problems and appears to be a great running engine. I took it out Saturday & ran up & down the Miramack river here in Concord, NH.<br /><br />After pulling the boat out I decided to pickup some points, plug & some lower end oil.<br /><br />When I got home I drained the lower unit & found water and the oil to be a muddy black. I carefully removed the lower unit & inspected.<br /><br />The pump impeller appeared to be in good shape. Only questionable issue was the shaft that runs from the powerhead down to the lower unit. Shows some grooving on the lower end where I presume it sits in some kind of bearing. <br /><br />Reassembled and filled with clean oil. I did notice no seal of any king on the vent and drain plug so I installed a rubber o-ring on both. I also noitced oil around a loose screw that secures the lower half just below the prop. I tightened.<br /><br />Will take it out to the local pond & run a few laps & return home to reinspect for water. Will replace the oil in lower unit to make sure all water is out.<br /><br />"If" all looks good on the lower unit, meaning no new water should I be concerned with the wear on the lower shaft? <br /><br />If I find more water should I rebuild the lower unit, just replace seals or purchase a rebuilt lower unit?<br /><br />I'm new to outboards, I am picking up a set of points/condencers but I don't want to tear into the points until I'm sure how to set properly.<br /><br />I picked up an Intertec manual from the library but t's not too clear on how to set the points. It shows a plastic pointer tool to use to set the points but I don't have that tool. Also not shure where to set the advance plate so I'll hold off on the points till I get better guidance. Was able to replace the plugs.<br /><br />Thanks for the help & I'm glad I found this forum!<br /><br />Robert McHenry<br />Concord, NH

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: 64 Evinrude 9.5HP question(s)

Welcome to iboats.<br /><br />Those are great motors. The only thing I don't like about them is the starter, but they work. For now I'd say leave the points alone and keep an eye on that gearlube. If you like, tackle the points in the off-season. Giving that motor a good going over this winter would be wise, but go ahead and run it the rest of this season and enjoy.<br /><br />The timing pointer tool is helpful in getting accurate points settings, but setting them at .020" is usually good enough. You'll want to inspect the coils for cracks in the coating, but if you have good spark now I doubt it'll be a problem. As far as the driveshaft is concerned, it may cost more to replace it than the motor is worth if you can find one. You might keep an eye out for a parts motor. Check for an antique outboard club in your area. Those motors often show up at swap meets.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ahoy, Robert.<br /><br />Welcome to iboats. :) <br /><br />I suspect that the water in the gearcase was the result of no gaskets under the vent and drain plugs.<br /><br />Get the correct gaskets (plus a bunch of spares) and replace your Orings. Use new gaskets every time you replace the plugs. They are like spark plug gaskets: they seal once only.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

robertmchenry

Recruit

Thanks for the reply! Did take it back out & appeared to run better than last after a few adjustments. Lower end lube was a light gray. Could have been from water that was in the lower unit since last change. <br /><br />I won't worry about the water in the lower unit at the moment. I'll just have too keep a close eye on it and change more often.<br /><br />Thanks for the reply.<br /><br />Robert