counter rotation location

cowboyup

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've been working on my two 1991 150's lower units..thanks to those who've helped me. But i've managed to switch locations so many times, i can't remember which one is the counter rotating one. How can I tell which one is which? I've always seen the counter rotating engines mounted on the left. What is the reasoning behind this? Thanks in advance.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: counter rotation location

Look real close at the end of the propshaft. There will be a "C" stamped in the backwards one. Or just put the gearcase in gear and turn the driveshaft clockwise. The standard one will turn the propshaft clockwise.<br /><br />Where the c/r is palced depends on what your looking for, set up and hull configuration.<br /><br />On cats or tunnels we like to put the left (c/r) on the right (starboard) and the right (standard rotation) on the left (port). On V bottoms with no set back or step the right on right and left on left. With a step or set back we go left on right and right on left.<br /><br />A lot also depends on the props. Obviously you've tried it both ways. Which ever you like is OK. There is no wrong way.<br /><br />Experiment with your toe-in also. Sometimes it makes a big difference.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Just curious - is the counter-rotation achieved through the gears, or does the engine actually run in the opposite direction.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Thru the years it has been done both ways but the most popular nowdays is strictly with the gears.

cowboyup

Petty Officer 2nd Class

as luck would have it, there's pitting on the end. I've sanded with 220 wet, but to no avail. I can't tell if there's letter or not. so i pulled up on the shifter and rotated the propshaft, the driveshaft followed suit - in both directions. I did the same to the other lower unit and got the same result. Any more suggestions...aside from remembering to mark them next time.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If you pull up on the shifter and rotate the driveshaft clockwise each unit will rotate the propshaft in opposite directions.<br /><br />If they both react the same, you have two standard rotation gearcases. Are the props different?

cowboyup

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thank you very much. Yep the counter rotator propshaft turns ccl when the driveshaft is rotated clockwise. Exactly opposite the "regular" one. And yes, I do, have two different props, one right-handed and one left-handed. Whew! it's getting late so i'd better quit for now. Thanks again for your help.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Cool! Let us know how you prefer the set up. And what kind of boat and its performance.<br /><br />Good luck!