Carb rebuild

sealyons

Seaman
I just rebuilt the carbs on my '71 50hp evinrude and the engine will not start. There seems to be gas coming out of the front of both carbs when it turns over. Could this be a float adjustment problem?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Carb rebuild

Yes.<br /><br />(Carburetor Float Setting)<br />(J. Reeves)<br /> <br />With the carburetor body held upside down, the float being viewed from the side, adjust the float so that the free end of the float (the end opposite the hinge pin) is ever so slightly higher (just ever so slightly off level) than the other end. And when viewed from the end, make sure it is not cocked.

chicken louie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i just rebuilt my carbs on a 55 horse erude 1976 and i had the same problem i took it apart leveled the floats and took it down to boat launch and it started and died the low speed jets had to be 1.5 turns out on mine. i turned them out half a turn at a time till it ran smoothly. i did not know they should be slightly off level, this place is a wealth of information.<br />i will be testing my motor out today.

sealyons

Seaman

When leveling the floats It says to bend the float arm. Is there a trick to it? It seems like I have to apply a lot of pressur to get it to bend.