Evinrude 60hp '71 ignition dramas

Rigby

Cadet
Hi i'm rigby's better half!!! I need to make him smile again. I'ts 2am here in Australia and I'm trying to find out some info to surprise him with in the morning. He has just bought an evinrude 60hp '71 model#601720C and apparently it has been converted from cdi ignition to a car coil ignition type he has purchased something to change the volts and checked all the wiring but still can't get spark. Can you please help me make his day by finding some info on correct procedure for this conversion. Any diagrams would help too. Thanks Mate.. Janette

byordy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Evinrude 60hp '71 ignition dramas

I'll take a stab at it. To the best of my (limited) knowledge this is not an OMC conversion and therefore there probably is no documentation for it. In order to use a car coil in place of the CDI that ignition system must have originally been points triggered, and the points are probably under the flywheel. I would suggest first checking to see if there is 12 volts at the plus terminal of the coil. If so follow the wire from the minus terminal of the coil to where it hooks to the points under the flywheel. If the wire appears ok until it dissapears under the flywheel he'll have to pull the flywheel. Follow the wire to it's termination with the points and insure that there is continuity from the coil to the termination at the points. The distributor is in this same location and the points are probably in or under it. Check the distributor cap and rotor very closley for cracks, carbon tracks, etc. and check the wires for cracks breaks, etc. Clean (or change) the points (and condenser) and check the point gap. The point gap should probably be the same as when the CDI was installed and will be listed in the manual. Sometimes the point gap is shown somewhere in the area of the points so he might look carefully around there. If it is indeed a car coil there should be a resister betweeen the 12 volt supply and the plus terminal of the coil. With the points closed the voltage at the plus terminal of the coil should be in the range of six to nine volts or so. <br />Good luck. This is a simple system and I'm sure he'll have it figured out in short order.

Rigby

Cadet

G'day Byordy, Janette here. Thank you so much for your prompt reply to my message. I have passed on the information with which he was very happy (given him something to work at) although he is greatly considering locating a powerpack and coil that was originally on it. I think it would make it alot easier for any future dramas or maintenance. Am in the process now of searching for such parts here in Sydney surpisingly having a not so bad response. He is currently having a look at what you recommended we shall see how we go. Again thank you kindly for your information it has been much appreciated.<br />Regards Janette.

byordy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You're very welcome.<br />I'm happy that I could help & hopefully he'll be able to ge it running again. Restoring the motor to factory copnfiguration is indeed the right thing to do. Good Luck on finding the parts.<br />Rigby is a fortunate man to have you as his better half.<br />Happy boating........