1976 200hp Johnson

eula30

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi, I just bough a 1976 Johnson 200hp with a Grady-white WA boat, very nice condition, my question is: the motor it is not throwing water thru the pee hole, the water is coming out thru 2 holes on the back of the motor, the water is coming out with pressure and hot, however the motor temperature it is normal. Is this ok for a 1976 Seahorse Johnson, or I will have to remove the lower unit and change the impeller? Any help I will really appreciated.<br />Thank you

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: 1976 200hp Johnson

Good idea to change the water pump anytime it is unknown how long it's been since change-out.<br />I didn't think the 76 had the p-hole yet, but if it does, remove the line from the back of exhaust plate, fish a small piece of wire thru there-loosen up any corrosion-also blow thru the hose itself to make sure the clog isn't in there...<br />Is the water coming out of the 2 large holes right after start-up when the engine is cold?????

eula30

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi there, when the engine is cold it takes about 10 seconds for the water to come out thru the 2 large holes, the previous owner told me that he completely rebuild the motor with a new lower unit about a year a go. It starts and looks like a new motor...<br />Thank you

walleyehed

Admiral

It takes a few seconds for the water to find it's way thru the passages and fill, so that part would be normal. Do you notice the flow thru the 2 holes slowing to more of a "spit" for a short period and then free flowing again???<br />I'm starting to wonder if your relief valves were ever installed or stuck open, or, maybe the thermostats were never installed.<br />The relief valves are designed to open at higher engine speeds to provide better cooling.