Electrical Probs. For 1987 48HP Evin. No choke or starter click

tribesailor

Recruit
Motor is a 1987 Evinrude 48 Hp Model # E48ECUS the second E could be an S it was hard to tell.<br /><br />Serial # is G150413.<br /><br />The engine would not start or make the normal sounds of the electric choke clicking on or any starter noises. I checked the battery voltage which was 12 and then the amperage which did not seem correct. The connections on the battery were tight and corrosion free. I took the battery to Advance Auto parts for a free diagnosis and suspected it was low or completely discharged from old age and in need of replacement. The battery failed after 5 minutes on the machine and would not hold a charge. It was replaced with a new battery of equal cranking amps. A new battery also failed to solve the failure to start the motor. I then proceeded to check all the connections of the control unit to the motor. All of the connections were made. I check the one inline fuse holder I could find and the fuse in appearance looked fine. I also tested it with a test light and it worked. I then went to the control unit and opened it up. There was one wire that was always hot consistent with a hot line from the battery to the control unit. When the key was in the run position a second hot line could be identified with a tester. The activation of the choke and the starter failed to produce any results on the circuit tester. For the choke it failed in the off position, in the run position and in the start position. The power to the run was interrupted when turning the key to the start position. <br /><br />At one point during the summer the boat was filled with water completely submerging the battery because the drain plug was inadvertently left in the boat when it sat on the trailer. <br /><br />I’m wondering if the water this summer caused a problem or if the ignition switch has failed? <br /><br />Are there other places with inline fuses that I need to look for and check like one in the control unit box?<br /><br />All thoughts and suggestions for other tests or possible problems causes are greatly appreciated because I’m trying to avoid having to have a boat down and the expenses of a repair shop.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Electrical Probs. For 1987 48HP Evin. No choke or starter click

Try FAQ "Outbord wont start"