55hp Shift problems

skipperman

Cadet
I have this 1968 55 hp Evinrude motor i got for cheap. After getting alot of things to work, i still cant get thing to shift. It has a hydro-electric shift. Should I be able to hear the motor shift when I just have the ignition to the on position? The current way its wired, the starter will turn when I have it in either f,n,r. I reversed the wires and it will only turn in forward and nuetral. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: 55hp Shift problems

I used to have one of those and I do not remember being able to hear it shift. The shift solenoids are in oil, so maybe if you put your ear to the lower unit while someone shifts it, maybe you can hear it. A good manual will give you the instructions for testing the shift box and solenoids.

protow

Recruit

hey skipperman ......welcome to the hydro-electric shift world....i take it this is your first one?.....just to let you know the motor will stay in forward until the motor starts up ...and if it still is in gear when it starts i would first change the lower unit oil "make sure you get the right stuff" and see if that helps if not youll have to check the elct. shift in the lower unit ..and or i also would check the shift box to make sure that its working ok ......<br /><br /><br />>forward = no power to solenoids " no power to any wires" should be forward<br /><br />>neutral = power to one solenoid "green wire" power to this wire should be N<br /><br />>reverse = power to both solenoids "blue wire" <br /><br />i hope this works ok for you

protow

Recruit

also when the key on the on or run postion shift the gears sel. fow and back and you should hear in make clicking nosies ..you might have to have someone back by the motor to hear it

skipperman

Cadet

Thanks, that helps me alot. The previous owner had every wire undone plus most changed out using just green and purple wires. My wiring diagram shows a vaccume switch between the remote control, red/green wire, but I can't find where this is. Any ideas?<br />Thanks