95 johnson V4 90hp Killing me!

migvas

Recruit
Hey guys!<br /><br />Heres the deal. The motor starts ok, BUT as soon as it idles it dies. If I rev it as soon as it starts it runs fine. I have to be fast to get it in gear then she will plane and run fine. As soon as I stop after a long streach it will idle for about 1 min. then dies. I have replaced the bulb fuel filters and plugs.<br />Any help would be great.<br />Thanks Mig.

angus63

Captain
Re: 95 johnson V4 90hp Killing me!

Check all connections from tank to carbs for fuel/air leaks first. Check fuel pump diaphram for pinholes. Check sync and linc. It appears that at low rpm your fuel pump can't pull enough fuel in to keep her going.<br />Good Luck

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I would susapect crud in the carbs affecting low speed operations. Thoroughly clean & instll new OMC carb kits.

tailfin10

Cadet

I have a 94 model 115 v4 , getting it to idle properly is the only issue I have had with this <br />motor which has been tough to get tuned in<br />perfectly. I learned these motors love throttle , they want to run . To idle well they<br />need no issues with fuel lines ,tank,filter,re-circ lines,lo speed jets,fuel pump etc. I did have my low speed air orfice rejetted to richen<br />the idle mixture and gap plugs at .040. On most days it idles well , some days perfectly , but once in a while still wants to die when I'm going from forward to reverse around the dock loading boat etc. When you get it fixed would like to know what you found.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

have you tried trimming the motor up while it idles? if you have plastic fuel bowls and it idles better and faster the farther up you trim it the fuel bowls probably are warped and leaking fuel into the bowl bypassing the needle valve assy.. does it cough when dieing?<br /> if it coughs its running lean. good luck and post a bit more info :)