Johnson 25 loss of top end power

bbeverly

Recruit
Had my 1996 Johnson tiller out on the lake yesterday for the first time in a month. Ran fine then all of a sudden lost all power and died. I was able to restart and limped back to shore manually pumping the primer to get the engine gas - otherwise the engine would lose all power and die. Let sit for a while then went out later to try again. Ran better that time - I didn't have to use the choke to keep engine running but I only had about half power in full throttle. Any suggestions what is wrong and how to fix??? Thanks

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Johnson 25 loss of top end power

Welcome to iboats.<br /><br />Sounds like you have a fuel supply problem. It could be something wrong with the motor, but I'm leaning towards your tank or fuel line. Specifically your tank venting. Primer bulbs can cause problems as well. Not to mention the possibility of sucking air instead of gas from a leak. Check your tank vent, replace the primer bulb if it doesn't quite seem right, and if you get gas squirting out anyplace when you pump up the primer bulb it could be sucking air as the motor runs. You should also check for water in the gas. It sinks to the bottom and can be syphoned out with a few feet of hose and a container to catch it in.

bbeverly

Recruit
Re: Johnson 25 loss of top end power

I bought a new gas tank and fuel supply hose with new primer bulb. Also changed the plugs as I thought maybe I had a fouled plug. Still runs terrible. Any other thoughts?