what kind of apparatus is this???????

rrushing

Cadet
i'm reassembling my gearcase and my factory manual shows an apparatus called a Stevens Experimental pressure test gauge. it goes on to tell you to test using pressure and vacuum. i've checked my napa store and they haven't heard of this gauge. they sell a vacuum pump gauge for testing fuel lines and egr valves, but it only does vacuum, not pressure. do i need two different tools for doing this or is there one tool available? can someone tell me what to get and shed some light on how to use it? please don't tell me to take it to my local service center because i'm a wannabe mechanic and i really want to learn how to do this.<br />thank you!<br />-ruth

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: what kind of apparatus is this???????

Ruth.....here is any easy way to pressure test. Get a bicycle pump and find a fitting that will screw into the drain or vent plug hole. The end off a lube pump will work fine. Plug the fittin into the pump hose and screw into the vent or drain plug hole. Make sure the other has the plug in. Dump the whole she bang in a garbage can full of water and pump the pump a few times. You'll know when you got pressure in the lower unit. Watch for bubbles escaping the lower unit. Don't see none? Good.<br /><br />NAPA stores see a cheap vacuum pump for car AC's with gage. Works for me. Just add a short length of tubing and the same fitting you used for the pressure test. Pull some vacuum and see if the gage holds.<br /><br />Hope we've helped.

marinemech

Petty Officer 1st Class

pressure testing checks seals for areas that will allow gear oil to leak out<br />vacuum tester check seals for areas where water may leak in

rrushing

Cadet

Thank you guys so much! <br />OBJ- I will perform this test with the bicycle pump. You know, the Stevens pump they show in the manual looks like a bicycle pump with a gauge on it. I will get the cheap vacuum gauge from Napa.<br />Marinemech- now that you put it that way, it makes perfect sense.<br />Thanks!<br />-Ruth