1989 rude xl 150 vro pump

dog1aero

Recruit
I just bought this boat and motor which has been sitting for 2 years. It was working fine when it was parked.I have been told to unhook the vro oil section of the pump and mix the gas. Are these pumps reliable aas I do not want to burn the motor up? Any suggestion as to what I should do before putting this in the water. Dog1aero

marinemech

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1989 rude xl 150 vro pump

dsconnecting oil side of pump is easy 1 disconnect oil feed hose and plug fitting 2 disconnect wire harness coming out of vro pump 3 mix fuel 50:1 25:1 if high preformance<br />if you want to leave oil system on 1 check filter in tank 2 fill oil tank up 3 run moter on 50:1 until you are sure pump is working 4 run on straight fuel<br />vro systems are reliable but require maintance ie check filter hoses etc because you can disconnect it without harming moter thats what i would do<br />because if it screws up you burn out power head

Brew2

Chief Petty Officer

Do a search on "VRO". You will have enough material and opinions to keep you reading for weeks.<br /><br />I personally like the VRO system as it has served me well with no problems. <br /><br />Cheers.

D

DJ

I personally like the oil injection. You can upgrade to the newer "four wire" system for about $250.00. It comes as a kit.<br /><br />In the meantime, do this.<br /><br />1. Remove the oil tank and dump it out.<br /><br />2. Replace the pick up tube screen.<br /><br />3. Refill with TCW-3 rated oil.<br /><br />4. Reprime.<br /><br />5. Mark a line on the tank so that you can watch oil useage.<br /><br />6. Pre mix at 50:1 ratio until you verify oil useage.<br /><br />The oil injection systems have been blamed for many problems they did not cause. They are VERY reliable, if maintained.

zantz

Seaman Apprentice

DJ, is the 4 wire system electric or does it run off the intake?

D

DJ

Zantz,<br /><br />The four wire just adds a "smarter" alarm system.

zantz

Seaman Apprentice

Since I had mine off while doing the rebuild I took a closer look at it. Being an electronics wiz I figured it out.<br /><br />1 wire is positive voltage<br />2 is ground<br />3 is to the alarm buzzer<br />4 is input from the tach<br /><br />#4 is so the alarm won't sound unless it's running at a certain RPM<br /><br />Thanks DJ

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Zantz,<br />The gray tach wire is used to monitor the rpm and compare it to the number of oil pressure pulses of "VRO" pump. The alarm can sound at ANY rpm should the electronics on the back of the pump determine that there are not enough oil pulses for the rpm.