What size prop for '61 Evinrude 10 horse?

tink

Cadet
Hey guys, I'm stuck on this one. I'd like to get another prop for my 1961 Evinrude 10 horse outboard. Problem is, I have no idea what size or pitch it is. Can anybody tell me what size or pitch is recommended for my motor? Anybody have the OMC part number for the factory original? Thanks in advance for all your help. Tink

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: What size prop for '61 Evinrude 10 horse?

8.25" x 8.5" is what came standard with your engine. You may want to use a lower pitch prop if your pushing an abnormally heavy load.<br />Iboats carries Michagan Match props in that size to fit that engine.<br /> Iboats props

tink

Cadet

Thanks, Paul. I'll take a look at those Michigan Match props. The motor is on my duck boat, so I would like to use a lower pitch. What does this mean exactly? Would I still be looking for a 8.25" x 8.5" prop with a certain pitch, or would I want a different size prop to change the pitch? Thanks. Tink

Paul Moir

Admiral

Usually you use a tachometer to determine which propeller you need for your engine to reach it's target RPM on your boat. You can get a tinytach from www.tinytach.com if you want to do that.<br />But if we're just guessing, and since we're dealing with a smaller outboard here, we can make certain assumptions. The 8.25x8.5 prop was chosen by OMC as a good all-around prop. A higher pitch prop, say a 8x9, will drive a very light boat faster. But on a slow, heavy boat, it would be like going up a hill in fifth gear. So for them you would choose a lower pitch prop. <br /><br />Unless my duck boat has sails and a lead keel, I would probably stick with the 8.25x8.5 prop. Seriously though, if the rig is over say 1000lbs without you and gear, you may want the 8.25x8 prop. But I'm no expert on proping a boat - mabey someone else can confirm this for me?

tink

Cadet

Ok, thanks again. I'll stick to the factory original. I appreciate your help Paul, you've explained everything and answered all my questions. Thanks. Take care. Tink.