57 Lightwin 3 torque specs

garyschneider

Recruit
I ordered a manual but I want to get it put back together and I don't know when the manual will get here. I need the order and amount of torque for the cylinder head gaskets. Thanks.

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: 57 Lightwin 3 torque specs

Gary - sorry I missed your last post.<br />60-84 inch/lbs. It is critical that you use an inch/lb reading torque wrench rather than a ft/lb one, as even the good ones are wildly inaccurate in that range. Do it in three rounds (1/2 torque, 3/4 and full) following this pattern:<br />3-4 Top<br />1-2 Middle<br />5-6 Bottom<br />Retorque after you warm it up for the first time, following the same pattern.<br /><br />Before you put the head on, make sure the cooling passages in the block at the top of the cylinder's water jacked (above the top cylinder, in the middle) and the water passage at the bottom (a little to the right under the bottom cylinder) are clear. Use a wire to feel through. They are tiny and if clogged, the engine will overheat. Water will mist out of the idle releif holes even if the cylinder water jacket circuit is blocked, since there's another.<br /><br />Good luck!<br /><br />EDIT: Also, see how the gasket goes on only one way, although it will fit both ways. Make sure you put it on the right way, with the tab at the top lining up with the tab on the head and block. I've seen these installed backwards sometimes and they blow through after a long while.

garyschneider

Recruit

Paul<br />I can't thank you enough for all of your help. You have saved me a lot of headaches. Thanks.

garyschneider

Recruit

Paul<br />I can't thank you enough for all of your help. You have saved me a lot of headaches. Thanks.