Is there much power in a 25hp outboard?

fergal

Cadet
hi there,<br /><br />i have just bought a 17ft deep v hull boat which i am doing up. it came without an engine. Due to finances I cant afford the 75/80hp recommended, however i wondered if a 25hp outboard would do the job for fishing, crusing etc. <br /><br />Many thanks

alcan

Commander
Re: Is there much power in a 25hp outboard?

Hi Goodie<br />Depending upon your expectations, Sure, the 25hp would make for a fine fishing motor. Just remember your not going very far very fast.

walleyehed

Admiral

Also, if you go with the 25, I would spend the money for a tachometer, and prop it according to eng. specs. I'm sure the prop that will come with the engine will be too much pitch for your application. Lugging a 25hp for very long will ruin your day sooner than you'd like.<br /> will most likely have to drop 2-3" in pitch as a guess at this point.<br /> Let us know what prop comes with the engine.. :)

fergal

Cadet

thanks lads for the replies. <br /><br />SO a 25hp isn't very powerful then! what sort of speeds could you expect to achieve and would it be a suitable match for the boat or should i consider something bigger?<br /><br />Many thanks for the help

envy83

Seaman

It depends a lot on the weight of the boat, but on a 17' Deep V, I wouldn't expect much above the middle teens. Typically a boat of that size would be outfitted at the low end with a 50hp and the high end a 150. Check out the USGC rating plate or sticker to see what your max is. Most people (myself not included) reccomend outfitting with ~%75 of that.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Being that you're in Ireland, you're not likely to have the USCG (United States Coast Guard) plate, but probably some other sort of governing body or manufacturer's plate that contains the recommended power. (Sorry, I got a chuckle out of that...)<br /><br />In any case, you should really look for something a bit larger in the motor department. Don't be afraid of a nicely cared for used motor, as I would often take a 20-year old well-maintained motor over a 3-year old motor that has been abused. You might be able to get a good older motor to tide you over for a few years until you can afford something newer...<br />- Scott

Mike Langianese

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Goodie,<br /><br />What part of Ireland are you in?<br />I have a chart of Cork Harbour to Dingle Bay on the wall, some of the most beautiful views... :) :) :) <br /><br />Mike

fergal

Cadet

thanks for the info again ,i checked out the uscg web site and got the info on the max size engine by using their formulas. However experience is hard to beat, the biggest engine in my group of mates is 9hp to i appreciate the help. <br /><br />I live in the east coast and yes kerry especially dingle pinnusla is a beatiful area, and has great fnshing

Forktail

Ensign

The 25 won't even get her on step. If you're in any kind of big water do yourself a favor and save your life by staying home. There's nothing worse than getting one from behind because you couldn't get out of the way. :eek:

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

A pair of 25s might do the job.

ZmOz

Captain

There is absolutely no reason to go to only 75% of the rated HP of your boat...they are already grossly undertated anyway.

kenneths

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In agreement with ZmOz......75% would be the MINIMUM acceptable in MOST cases, but I do understand the money issue, and although getting caught out on the water in a storm, or wind issue CAN happen, common sense may be your best judge of the size of engine you really need.<br /> If 25 is all you can do, just be very cautious as to the wheather, and of course, how far from shore you would be.<br /> Your top-speed will be as mentioned...below plane speed, (14-18mph maybe)...take this into consideration, and be safe with your choice.. :)

fergal

Cadet

thanks for the reply, i've taken the advice and am looking at a 50hp yamaha autolube outboard, i reakon it should do the job