Johnson 5.5 HP Proper Impeller?

Scott J

Cadet
I am having a problem locating the proper impeller kit for my '62 Johnson 5.5 outboard, model number CD-19-S. I recently ordered what I thought was the right impeller kit (sierra #18-3202) but the impeller was way too big when compared to the old impeller. The wear plate matches the one that I have so I must be close. Has anyone else run across this? There must be two different impeller housings for this unit one for a large impeller and one for a small one? Is there a retrofit kit or housing that I can purchase to make this work. The part number on the impeller housing I have is 32359. Also I do not live close to a Johnson dealer so an online source would be best. <br /><br />Any help would be greatly appreciated.<br /><br />Scott

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: Johnson 5.5 HP Proper Impeller?

It sounds to me like you have an updated waterpump, which take an impeller much smaller than the original. If so, it'll look something like this:<br /> Picture, new on the right, old on the left <br />If that's the case, try to find a part number on the old impeller, or be very clear with your dealer that you have the updated waterpump, and need an impeller for it. <br />OMC parts dealer, online

Scott J

Cadet
Re: Johnson 5.5 HP Proper Impeller?

Paul,<br /><br />Thanks for all the information.<br /><br />Scott