Ignition Tune-up Kit

Bass2ply

Cadet
I just got an ignition tune-up kit for a Johnson 20hp 1971, and it came with two little pellets of grease. Any idea what these are for? The posts for the spring-loaded points? Thanks in advance!

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: Ignition Tune-up Kit

Yeah, use one for the posts and the other for the cam. Gob some on the felt wick too. Those rubbing blocks on the points will wear faster without grease.

Bass2ply

Cadet

My manual states to replace the wick. Is this important to do, and what is its purpose? <br /><br />The kit I bought didn't come with a replacement wick. If it is important to replace, where can I find this, or what would be a good cheap alternative?<br /><br />Paul, thanks again for the grease guidance.

Paul Moir

Admiral

It's purpose is to hold and despense lubricant for the points. If yours is not in good condition, you may be able to fit a new one to the wick holder. It is made of a peice of heavy felt. But if yours is in good shape and still makes contact with the cam, then feel free to reuse it.<br /><br />Normally, they're just saturated with oil. But like you said, the manual says to simply replace them rather than re-oiling them. I assume they say that because the felt eventually wears out. I suppose rather than supply a wick, the aftermarket points come with some high quality grease that ought to stay on the cam without the aid of the wick. But I put that stuff on the wick too.

Bass2ply

Cadet

I flipped the wick around in the holder for it to make contact with the cam, which saved me time crafting a new one. Thanks for all your help!