carb float for '49 Johnson 5 hp

tallcar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
trying to find source for parts, on a '49 Johnson Seahorse 5 hp, runs great, :p just float is stuck, varnished over and very heavy, I assume this is my problem, so I partially closed the fuel petcock to compensate for getting to much fuel, can anyone tell me a source, I can find mid '50's and newer but not parts this old, thanks

alcan

Commander
Re: carb float for '49 Johnson 5 hp

Hi Salty<br />That cork float is supposed to be varnished. That is what seals it. Now you may be able to dry it out and recoat it. Test it. Does it float? Sometimes they don't. Most of the time these floats do work. The problem is the taper on the bottom of the float shaft has crud on it or the seat. Not allowing it to close off the gas. Another thing might be the little clip screwed into the top of the float is not indexed into the groove in the shaft. This would cause a wrong float level. Does this make sence? We have a member named Chinewalker here. He uses a Mercury float as a replacement at times. I like this idea and I will try it the next time I run into this problem. Maybe you can ask him for details.Check out the above first make sure the float you have can no longer be made to work.

tallcar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: carb float for '49 Johnson 5 hp

thanks for the info guys, I went to the site, they do not list parts for that particular year, I sent him an email to ask if he had access to a float, I recall that the Merc floats are simular, in fact I have a '46 Merc 3.2 horse as well as a '46 Merc 6 horse I might just swap floats to see if it works :) Thanks again :) Also noticed the "crud" you spoke of I see that alot in the ones I work on, so I have the carb soaking in "Gunk" carb cleaner. Should do the trick