1977 skeeter bassboat (115 Evinrude)

fireman_103

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am reposting I went and looked at this boat today it has a evinrude 115 on it, which is froze up due to sitting for about 6 years. The boat has been in the water in the boat house for the past 6 years. The motor is clean and the plugs look as if the boat was running fine back then. I really feel like a little something put in the cylinders should free the motor. I didnt take any sockets with me today to try and turn the top of the motor. The steering work, the gears appear to be ok. The asking price for the boat is $ 750.00 Im gonna see if he will take $ 500.00. Heck the trailer ought to be worth that.

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: 1977 skeeter bassboat (115 Evinrude)

I think I'd pull the heads off and have a look at the pistons and cylinder walls before I tried too hard to turn it over.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

Kenneth Duke

Cadet

Id'e TRY squirting some good ol OMC 6IN1 Lubricant in all cylenders in a circular motion to completly soak the rings and cylender walls then come back a couple of hours later with a braker bar and socket and carfully apply pressure until you feel it break free. Then turn it over a few time by hand to be shure the ring are not catching on anything.If attempting to start if everything feels good add a little VRO Lube in each cylender then start it will smoke for a little while but thats OK becausyour getting the topend lubed relly good since its been extremely dry to cause it to lock from sitting.Iv'e been doing this for many years and have excellent luck.Hope this helps you and you have the same luck.by the way nice boats at that price its a steal.

fireman_103

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the input. I am gonna go out there today to pick up the trailer, gotta put some more wood on it. I will spray it with the lube it will actually be able to soak for a few days even better I suppose. I am also getting the boat for about a $ 100.00 worth of materials and labor most of the labor donated by a friend to rebuild a part of the guys boat house pier, so it seems like a even better deal to me now. Ill let you know how it goes.

fireman_103

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I sprayed some Oil stuff not sure of the name, its a foam type, in all four spark plug holes, let it sit for about 4 days still no luck un freezing the motor. I put a hard pull to her today and only tightened the flywheel bolt tighter. Im not sure how hard I can pull this w/ out breaking anything. Helppp

LubeDude

Admiral

You are probably fighting a loosing battle. if it is frozen that badly, its probably toasted anyway, there are plenty of old 115s out there, they are on Ebay all the time. For the price you are paying for the boat, you could put a little money into another engine.

fireman_103

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You are probablly right. I am gonna take the heads off and use a rubber hammer and tap the pistons a little. If the cylinders look good I might do a rebuild. I am sure with it being frozen so hard that if it were to break loose the trash in there would damage anything that might be good.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

If its been sitting for 6 years and froze up, chances are there is more corrosion than just rusty cylinders and piston rings. Most likely the crankshaft, all the bearings, wrist pins, and the connecting rods are rusted, pitted, and ruined.