Enging froze up???

fireman_103

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am looking at buying a Boat that has and evinrude 115 outboard, It has been sitting up for about 6 years. The motor will not spin using the pull cord or by starter. What should I check?? Could this be a problem in the foot or the Head. <br />The man selling it said it was his father in laws and it was running when they put it in storage.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Enging froze up???

Pull the spark plug wires and ground them. Shoot some 2-stroke TCW-3 oil into the holes. Let it set for a couple of hours. Make sure it has a fully charged battery and try it again. If it spins, check the compression right away to see if it's worth dealing with...

D

DJ

It could be either.<br /><br />No matter what, if it was not put away properly, it may be trouble.

DHPMARINE

Captain

IF you can free up the motor,you'll still need to deal,at the least,with the carbs,fuel in tank,and waterpump.(notice the IF).IF you like the boat,check your local dealers and see what it will cost to replace the motor.IF they don't have used,and only new,this project could get so impractical ....... <br />I think you see my point.I've got a customer with a $6,500 Grady White Mercruiser.Too bad it's not correct yet.Worse yet it's a 1972 boat.<br />DHP

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

What year is it and are you willing to put some work into it or do you want a "ready to go" motor? That's not to say the others are wrong. It will take some work to get it right, if possible at all..

fireman_103

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Its a 1984 skeeter bass boat. The carpet needs to be replaced, the power trim is not working, the motor has been stored in the up position. I can get it for $ 750 or maybe cheaper.