85hp Johnson throttle cable melted

theginns

Seaman Apprentice
Has anyone seen this problem before?? About 2 hours into our boating day, I pushed forward on the throttle cable and nothing happened. Upon further inspection, I found that the cable end that hooks to the throttle lever (by the steering wheel) was VERY hot and had come apart. I could only throttle back in. When I got back home, while replacing the cable, I noticed that the other end that is hooked to the throttle on the engine was melted to the silver clamp that holds the cable on. Anyone know why this could have happened? I just replace the cable and don't won't this to happen again. Thanks

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: 85hp Johnson throttle cable melted

This is kind of a new one on me, but I can only suspect that a bare wire in the control was touching your throttle cable and shorting out. Carefully take a look at the wires in the control box and make sure there are no insulated wires that are torn or exposed, that could short out. Best I can do right now. Of course, it could be on the engine side and shorting out and I would check that out , also...

theginns

Seaman Apprentice

Just came back in from checking the cables again. On the throttle box where the cable is connected, when I put it in gear, and the levers move, I heard some clicking sound. Upon further inspection when I looked underneath at the connections, I saw a lot of sparks when the metal of the cable end and the metal pin that holds it in place swivel and rub against each other.

theginns

Seaman Apprentice

Checked the wires in the box, none are bare. Any other ideas out there? Think it sounds like I need to take it to a marine repair shop? haha

stairliftoheaven

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you need a lot of amps to make a cable melt like that. heard of this in automotive aplications where the ground from the battery dont make a good connection with the engine therefore the ground finds its way via the control cables especially when using starter motor. so 1st port of call is to check the integrity of the connection of the heavy negative lead to the engine and the grounds to the control box. worth spending a few quid on a multimeter to help yourself before committing your boat to the wolves! keep posting

Walker

Captain

You are getting a 12V dead short somewhere, and the only place the cables even come near 12V current is in the contol box. Something in the box is touching where it shouldn't be. Either a hot wire from the key switch or the alarm buzzer. Or even better chance of it being the T&T switch.