Power trim

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander
I fogged and put away this '79 100hp Johnson sometime in january after doing some minor work motor work. She ran and idled good in a tank. Now I just put it on a boat and lo and behold she leaks hydraulic oil right around the rams of the trim cylinders. Can I just raise the motor and lock it up, lower the trim rams and remove the trim cylinder caps and replace the seals and or o-rings? The trim operates just fine and I just wants to get this boat on the water... thanks

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Power trim

That's how I'd do it. If you can get away with doing it without removing the unit from the boat, it'll save you a bunch of time. I would hope the seals are still available. Once you get it up and locked, lower the rams fully, then raise the main ram enough to give you good access to the cap to unscrew it. Then turn the manual tilting screw out a few turns to relieve the pressure.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks...hope I can get to it today. What do I use to refill the cylinder with. Shall let you know how it comes out...thanks :)

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

I finally found the answer to the fluid question in Seloc manual...GM Dexron. :)

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Nothin is ever easy is it...so I don't have the right spanner to take the trim caps off where can I find one or something that will work...I have the o-rings now I needs to get apart...any ideas? :)