Dougrussell.com

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade
First of all I don't want to slam anyone's business or the way they run it. But, today I went to dougrussell.com to place an order for a few odds & ends like a gasket for my outdrive & some washers for the plugs on my cobra drive. The order came to about $15.00. When I went to checkout I was informed that all orders under $30.00 would automatically be brought up to $30.00. I'm not kidding. When the shipping was added my order came to $38.50. No mention was made that I would recieve a $15.00 credit so I'm assuming the extra $15.00 is some kind of gratis to doug & co. Needless to say I cancelled my order. If that's the way they want to run things, that's they're business. But, I have better things to do with my cash then just give it away. Thoughts anyone? Anyone else ever run into this?

Realgun

Commander
Re: Dougrussell.com

Yes it happens on some sites. Just don't order from them. I tried an order from Boatfix and man that was 1 crappy deal. They charge but never gave me a ship notice. I was able to get though and canceled but never again. <br /><br />On the other hand iBoats bends over backewards to help you. Some items are more and some are less but you will get what you want no hassles and an update as to when and where things are.

Moody Blue

Captain

Glad you posted. I am in the process of putting together an order also for a few odds and ends. Will double check the billing policy before pressing the confirm button. If I'm going to contribute to anyones retirement fund it will be my own :D

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I thought it was an April fools joke, but the 1st ain't till tomorrow. :D

Eggkr8

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have heard about that with a few sites but never expereienced it myself. <br /><br />I am lucky that Doug Russell is less than an hour from me. So I usually just go in and have Jeffrey help me out.<br /><br />They are really good at finding no longer availables for me and that's why I use them (restoring a 1964 runABOUT), but I only use their direct support, no web stuff

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by Realgun:<br /> Yes it happens on some sites. Just don't order from them. I tried an order from Boatfix and man that was 1 crappy deal. They charge but never gave me a ship notice. I was able to get though and canceled but never again. <br /><br />On the other hand iBoats bends over backewards to help you. Some items are more and some are less but you will get what you want no hassles and an update as to when and where things are.
Not my experience w/Boatfix. Good email notifications. YMMV

Darkhorse1201

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I too live near Dug Russell so I just pick my stuff up. But in Doug Russell's defense - it does say right on the site that there is a minimum of $30.00 and anything under that will be upped to $30.00.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

A lot of mailorder places have a minimum. Cost of doing business. And always stated right up front. I just cover it with extra impellers, and what ever on boats, or oil filters on my Harleys. Life throws ya a curve, ride it.

phantoms

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would much rather a site with a minimum order not allow me to check out until I add enough to my cart to meet the minimum. Simply adding money to your total (whether stated or not) is a rip off.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I can see adding 5 dollars to any order under 30 bucks to cover the employee's wages for time spent and packaging. but raising a 5 dollar order to 30 bucks seems a lil pricey.

north40

Petty Officer 1st Class

Some make it on minimums; some make it on higher prices and some make it on shipping and handling. If you go into a welding or machine shop, you will most likely pay a minimum charge. I order from Doug Russell if I have enough for minimum since I save on sales tax. I order from Mercury if I have small order. We should all email them and voice our displeasure with their policy and maybe they will take a look at it. Complaining here will do nothing. I will be the first; anyone else?<br />Bob