1964 90s starflite woes

McAdam

Cadet
hello all, looks like a nice forum you guys have here, anyways, Ive got an old '64 starflite 90s and the forwaed spring clutch broke in the lower unit. A new spring clutch will cost me $319.25 from a local dealer and a used spring clutch will run me $90 with no warrantee. Are these prices inline with what you guys are paying? or am I getting burned because I live in Moorhead, MN? <br /><br />on another note, since i will not have any money for a couple of weeks, can I just use the reverse spring clutch/gear and swap it out with the forward spring clutch/gear assembly and have a forward, but no reverse? they appear to be the exact same, same number of teeth on the gear, same coil, same everything! thanks in advance! <br /><br />McAdam

Droll

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1964 90s starflite woes

You could swap the spring only , the rest are different ,the forward hub got a bussing as the reverse got a roller bearing ( for the most of the time you uses forward , therefore roller bearings on the reverse )<br /><br />Got my spring for $75.00 new :cool: <br />Might try www.outboard-parts.com or<br /> www.twincityoutboard.com

McAdam

Cadet

so, i should be able to just switch the springs and have a forward gear with no problems? i think Ill just do that for the time being! thanks!<br /><br />McAdam

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Put your reverse spring on the fwd gear. Then buy the used spring and put it on reverse.