2000 150 hp Ficht Evinrude

water_walter

Recruit
200hours on the the unit.<br />My engine slips out of forward gear after running flat out (5000rpm) for about 25 mins. After it has popped out of gear it will continue to stay out of gear until I return it to neutral. If I then put in forward and run at low rpm (2000) it will stay in gear. But if I try to increase rpm quickly it will jump out again.It seems to be temperature related because if I let it sit for about an hour, it will run good up to 5000rpm for about 20mins again. A local dealer replaced the complete gear assembly, there was no improvement. They are stumped. Does any one have any ideas.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2000 150 hp Ficht Evinrude

Howdy, WW.<br /><br />Welcome to iboats. :) <br /><br />You need to readjust your shifting linkage when it is warm, if not hot. <br /><br />As it is warming up it lengthens enough to be out of spec.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Even with new gears and clutch dog, if there is wear of slop in the shifting linkage and/or the cable is not adjusted correctly, it will jump out of gear. Once is does that a few times, you have to replace the fwd. gear set and clutch dog again. The shift rod height is a critical adjustment and should be measured. A missing bushing in the horizontal shift shaft can cause improper shifting action. There is the stamped steel bracket that the shift interrupter switch and the cable end attaches, if that is bent (look at it from the rear), it can be the culprit. This is very common if someone forced the shifting while the motor was not running. It is common when a family has kids playing inside the boat.

water_walter

Recruit

I made it pop out of gear 4 times, I hope the fwd. gear set and clutch dog are not buggered. I'll give the information to my dealer and see what he can do about it. Thanks