Johnson Problem

beringersd

Seaman
1974 Johnson 15 hp<br />When I moved to full throttle the engine seems to die. I have new gas and new oil 50:1. It will run at full throttle when the choke is open.<br />Any suggestions?<br />Thanks<br />Jay

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Johnson Problem

Beringersd,<br /><br />Maybe a dirty carb?<br /><br />Probably need more info and people here know a lot more than I do, but I've got the same motor you do. ;) <br /><br />When it starts to choke, and you close the throttle, does it come back or still dies?

bubbakat

Captain

Try pumping the primer bulb while this is going on and see if it helps.<br />If it were me I would rebuild and clean the carbs and replace all rubber hoses and primer bulb.

beringersd

Seaman

jsfinn<br />Yeah it ends up dieing again when I push the choke back and have it full throttle . I've had the carb clean out 2 years ago I believe. I guess there were all gummed up? But you think thats what it is again?<br />Also do you know where I can get a new lower drain plug? Mines about stripped out, jsut curious.<br />Bubbakat<br />I tried pumping the bulb and nothing happened.

beringersd

Seaman

jsfinn<br />also do you think I can adjust the lean and rich on the motor by the choke?<br />Just a thought.<br />Thanks again<br />Jay

bubbakat

Captain

If you are refering to the drain plug on the lower unit you can get one of those at about any outboard repair shop.<br />If pumping the primer bulb has no effect I would try a carb rebuild and let those things soak.<br />If you fuel pump has the big screw in the center take it out and there is a screen behind it that may be stopped up.

beringersd

Seaman

Bubbakat<br />I'm sorry but I don't have any experience in this? But I'm willing to learn. Can you explain in more detail of carb rebuild. Where do I find the carb to let it soak? What do I soak it in? Where is the fuel pump? Is the fuel pump located near or part of the carb? Please bear with me.<br />Do you think adjusting the rich and lean dial would make a difference?<br />Thanks again,<br />Jay

beringersd

Seaman

Bubbakat<br />Is this something a novice person can do? I mean I want to learn everything I can about this motor and want to be able to fix it myself to some extent.<br />Thanks

bubbakat

Captain

Sure you can fix it your self but first you need a manuel. You can go to your local library and they probably have one you can copy the necessary stuff out of. Without a manuel you will flying blind as they say.<br />It is hard to explaine what every thing is without it.<br />Never fear being a novice we all were one at one point in life.<br />In this situation you described I don't think adjusting the R&L dial will do any good.<br />You can get your manuel right here. The best money you can spend<br /> web page<br /><br />Yours should be the second one.

beringersd

Seaman

bubbakat<br />What manual do you think is best for me? I have a 1974 Johnson 15 hp. Its a 2 cycle? right?<br />Thanks again

beringersd

Seaman

aj000023 you thinks it a idel screw adjustment? can you please explain?<br />Thanks<br />Jay

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Beringersd,<br /><br />Like Bubbakat said, that drain plug is pretty common. You could probably find it on iboats if you search around for it.<br /><br />As far as cleaning the carb goes, other people might disagree but a lot of people think that using spray cleaner is as good as taking the thing apart and letting it soak in gas. You can buy carb cleaner at any auto parts store. Follow the directions on the can. It's going to get VERY smokeie and it'll shoot gunk out of the exhaust so don't do it near the house.<br /><br />Make sure to run your motor on "muffs" any time it's out of the water.<br /><br />Also, it's a good idea to buy a manual for your motor to help you identify parts and troubleshoot future problems. They arn't very much and you can buy them on iboats also.<br /><br />Let us know what happens!

beringersd

Seaman

jsfinn<br />thanks for all the great info.<br />babbakat sent me a link to the manual web page, what one do you is for my motor?<br />I'm a real rookie to listen and learn.<br />Thanks for taking the time.

bubbakat

Captain

open the web page and go to the second choice and it should include your h/p range.<br />Quit doubting yourself you can handle that thing. Any way if I wasn't on here helping people my wife would have me doing dishes. :D :D

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

beringersd,<br /><br />Bubbakat knows better than I do ... and I agree with him - ask all the questions you want but don't doubt yourself. <br /><br />The best thing about getting a manual is if you end up breaking something or doing something wrong, you've got all the information you'll ever need to fix it.<br /><br />I have a Clymer manual. It's ok..probably not the best but i've been able to get by with it.