Not Sure if Water Pump is working..?

Darkocean

Recruit
Hey Guys<br />I have a Johnson 1959 10Hp Seahorse QD-20<br />I have serviced as much as i can do on this..<br />The carb,gears..etc..<br />I checked the impeller, and it seemed in fine condition, so i re-installed it rotating the driveshaft clockwise like the manual says..<br />Put the whole lower unit back, and gave it a run..<br />It started eventually..However I was nervous about the water pump,as they state in the manual that 5 seconds with no water can cause damage...(Oh I had a water clamp with a hose connected)..<br />However the manual does not say where water must come out...?<br />So i ran it for 10 sec or so..But then in the area of the top of the drive shaft was getting hot.So i stopped it..The manual refers to a flushette window....???WHat is that...?<br />And shoud water be coming out of the hole half way up the drive shaft...?<br />Is my impeller installed right...?<br />Any help would be greatly appreciated... :) <br />Thanks<br />Roy

D

DJ

Re: Not Sure if Water Pump is working..?

Roy,<br /><br />Some spray should come out of the hole about halfway up the leg.<br /><br />It's hard to run one of thoseon the hose, or muffs.<br /><br />Stick the lower unit in a five gallon bucket of water and try it again.

G DANE

Commander

Be aware the water level should be high enough to cover the pumphousing, they were not build to vacuum.

Darkocean

Recruit

Hey Guys I have tried what you said but still no pumping...?<br />G-Dane what do you mean by the above the pump housing..Is that above the whole impeller..Is that not pretty high for the water level<br />And what do you mean by they do not create a vacuum...?<br />How does the water get through the engine block...?<br />One thing i did do was blow into the hole halfway up the drive shaft..And bubbles came out in the water very freely...<br />HOwever it was real easy to blow through..Is this right...?<br />Thx a million again I really appreciate your guys help.. :) <br />Roy

D

DJ

Roy,<br /><br />The pump housing is the "round bump" in the leg, just above the lower unit. At idle (stationary) it has to be covered. Underway, water is forced into the lower unit intakes.<br /><br />If the pump housing was worn, you may need a new one.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Roy - Bite the bullet & replace the complete water pump. An impellor can look fine and not pump nearly enough water. A pump is not expensive and is easy to replace. Inexpensive piece of mind.