94 johnson 112 stator?

mbb

Petty Officer 2nd Class
94 johnson 112. Idles OK, sometimes works fine, other times slowly bogs down until quits, or will keep running once reduced to idle. sometimes happens immediately when accelerating from idle, other times happens after running for a while at high speed.<br /><br />Bulb doesnt go flat when it happens. I have new fuel pump, new powerpack, new fuel filter. Carbs have been cleaned. compression is 125 each, new plugs. Still occurs. Everything checks out ok on resistance tests (coils and stator). I have checked voltage from stator and powerpack (W/dva) when cranking or on muffs in the driveway, and it is always fine. I replaced the powerpack first because it was cheap, and a likely cause, but it didnt help.<br /><br />I pulled flywheel. The stator coils are encased in plastic. There is a small (1/2") crack on top in one spot, and the plastic is raised up slightly there (maybe 1/16"). This stator is about $295 for OMC and $185 for CDI/Rapair brand.<br />Is there a chance that it isnt the stator? I dont know what else it could be. How reputable are the aftermarket parts? I could hook up the dva to the stator or coil inputs and go run the boat and wait for it to happen, but that will take me time and some money as well.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 94 johnson 112 stator?

There are some sftermarket products that are less than acceptable, thats for sure. Some are as good or better than OE. But you'll never go wrong with CDI or Rapair.