65 hp johnson prop

billyt

Seaman
I contacted the guy I'm buying the johnson motor from. Two things: (1)he can't find any kind of plug near the flywheel that would have the serial number on it...where is he supposed to look? (2)what kind of prop does this motor take. He has two props with chips in them and he can't find any measurements, pitch etc. I appreciate being able to ask all these questions.<br />billyt

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: 65 hp johnson prop

Hey Billy,<br />I can't help ya with the prop but the plug you're lookin' for looks like a freeze plug. Looking down on the flywheel, it should be behind it in the block.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, BillyT.<br /><br />Texas is a title state for outboards.<br /><br />It is illegal to sell an engine without a clear title. Title would give year, model number and serial number.<br /><br />Go find a legal engine. You are just asking for trouble having an illegal engine.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

As usual, JB's correct. One problem is, it's a relatively new law and there are a gadzillion outboard engines here in Texas without titles. The other problem deals with engines that have been rebuilt from other engine parts. Crankshaft from here, block from Florida, pistons from Alabama, transom clamp with t&t from Tennessee, etc..<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty