JW-12R resurected, Water pump

Schwagoo

Recruit
My dad and I just bought a little sailboat and this motor came with it.<br />JW-12R 1956 3hp Johnson outboard. The lady said it ran great when they stored it 2 years ago. <br /><br />Dad cleaned it out and put fresh gas in it. It started on the 3rd pull.<br /><br />He could not find a place where the water was squirting out and we are trying to find out details on the motor and water pump to be sure it is working before we open the thing up for any length of time.<br /><br />also there is a part that is broken, it seems like a guard right above the prop. The previous owner repaired it with fiberglass, but it is broken again. Is this needed or can we yank it off?<br /><br />Thanks a bunch!<br /><br />Brian

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: JW-12R resurected, Water pump

hello Schwago.<br />The part that is broken off,is it a flat surface that sits horizontally above the prop? Or is it a triangular piece that points downward toward and behind the prop?

Paul Moir

Admiral

Those are great little outboards.<br />A new impeller is in order since the unit sat unused for two years. Iboats sells a repair kit cheap. Disassemble the unit before ordering parts to make sure you just need an impeller rather than a whole new water pump.<br /><br />There's no tell tale like a modern outboard though. You should feel some water spritzing out around the idle reliefe holes (where some exhaust comes out when you run it in water). I belive on your model the holes are part way down the front of the leg, partly covered by a little metal peice. Be warned that's working from memory though. :)

BillP

Captain

My earlier version JW10 has 4 holes approx 1/8" dia for the water to exit. They are located just below the mounting bracket on the back of the leg. I've had several of these motors and they don't pump much water out at idle speed.

Schwagoo

Recruit

Originally posted by rolmops:<br /> hello Schwago.<br />The part that is broken off,is it a flat surface that sits horizontally above the prop? Or is it a triangular piece that points downward toward and behind the prop?
The part that is broken is a semi-flat surface just above the prop.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Your broken part is the anti-cavitation plate(some people disagree about this name)It's purpose is making sure that the propeller will not start sucking air from the surface instead of pushing water.Dependent on how big and where exactly the broken part is,this can be relatively unimportant or crucial.