1988 14hp wont run ever since decarb.....?

phatmanmike

Captain
hello friends! :) <br /><br />1988 14hp which is identical to 9.9/15, just has different lower unit.<br /><br />motor ran good before the decarb.but it had a idle problem, where it would stumble and sometimes die at lowest idle seting if i let go of the tiller throttle completly.<br /><br />before this, i had replaced plugs/wires,new fuel pump, and rebuilt t\he carb. this helped a lil.<br /><br />now, ever since i decarbed it last month, it will start and run for about 2 seconds, maybe, and die. and it takes about 15-20 pulls on the rope to start it.<br /><br />also, gas is now pouring out the front,top,left hole in carb when i squeze the bulb, which stays rock solid no matter what.<br /><br />if i look into the carb throat, i can see the gas puddled against the butterfly, and the plugs were covered in brown goo, almost like they were dipped in 10w40 motor oil! weird.<br /><br />anybody have any ideas?

james roach

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1988 14hp wont run ever since decarb.....?

Clean and or rebuild carb and go from there.

stsmith

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sounds like the float level in the carb is set too high or needle and seat valve stuck open. Those little motors are picky about the float level. Roach <br />is right, clean or rebuild the carb, and clean or replace the plugs.<br /><br />Smitty

phatmanmike

Captain

im interested in your "float level" idea, when i squeeze the bulb, i can see fule squirt into the carb while looking into the throat.....needle isnt stuck.<br /><br />just rebuilt the carb about 2 running hours ago.. i took apart and cleaned and blew out with air and am putting together as wee speak... i will repost my findings. thanks

phatmanmike

Captain

thanks folks. i lowered the float, it was not shutting all the way, now it runs as before! thanks again