94 evenrude fires but won't stay running

mstrhntr

Cadet
94 Evenrude fires but wont stay running. Got spark, got fuel and all fuel hoses have been changed. Got good compression in all cylinders. Could this be a power pack problem?

angus63

Captain
Re: 94 evenrude fires but won't stay running

Which model? Off the bat, check shift interrupt switch and put timing light on all cyls to see which ones have no zap (if any). Try pumping bulb when it fires to see if she's starvin'. Try spraying premix in each carb to see if one or more are restricted. Model # and how you verified spark and fuel will surely get you better advise.<br />Good luck.

mstrhntr

Cadet

Sorry forgot to mention its a 115hp v-4. I did try the mixed fuel into the carb and squeezing the bulb. Negative results. I checked for spark with an old plug and did in fact have spark on all four. However one cylinder was much brighter than all the rest. I was just thinking that maybee poor quality spark was not enough to keep it running. So what about my stator and or power pack? any ideas would certainly help.<br />Thanks Dan

angus63

Captain

Use a 7/16 spark gap tester and verify hot spark on all four. If not, Use manual to test ignition components (powerpack,stator,flywheel magnets,wires, timer base, etc..). Weak spark can be almost any or all of the above. Maybe someone who is more familiar can chime in with likely suspects. Coils and coil grounds also possible.<br />Good luck

mstrhntr

Cadet

Thanks angus63. Just what I needed a few more ideas as we all know when we know what the problem is and it turns out that didnt work we have to grab straws. Thats why I'm here, thanks for your input