magnum gearcase

fishunter

Recruit
I have a 1996 225hp evinrude. My gearcase recently exploded beyond repair. I purchased a evinrude magnum gearcase and with some minor changes it went together without a problem. The problem I have is the boat is 6 knots slower at w.o.t and slower getting up on plane. The rpm's max @ 5400. I have a 14 3/4 x 17 prop installed. Any ideas? If anybody can confirm the shift rod adjustment of 26 29/32 I would appreciate it.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: magnum gearcase

Your new unit must have a different gear ratio. You will need to re-prop to get performance back if that is the case.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Do you mean the Lightining gearcase?<br /><br />What were the minor changes?

fishunter

Recruit

I tried many props with no significant gain. <br />The gearcase is a magnum gearcase used on the new direct injection Evinrude engines. The minor change was a different shift rod. I had a friend of mine contact Bombardier directly. They recommended this gearcase. I did find out the gear ratio is different. To add a little more salt in the wound, the engine blew up 2 hours after I put on the the new gearcase. #2 connecting rod came thru the block. ANYBODY KNOW OF A GOOD DEAL ON A REMANUFACTURED POWERHEADS FOR A 1996 225 HP EVINRUDE? I ALSO NEED A LOWER UNIT FOR THE SAME ENGINE. <br />THANKS

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

The magnum gearcase has the same ratio, 14:26, as your original one did. The greater diameter of the housing may make most boats lose about 1-4 mph.<br /><br />Bombardier sells rebuilt powerheads for your motor. They are listed in the Parts and Accessories catalog.