Testing OMC coils, points and condensors.

steviecops

Chief Petty Officer
Hi<br />Is there anyway that the coils, points and condensors can be tested using a multimeter?<br /><br />My manuals say that you need special equipment to test them, but I thought I read on here somewhere how to test certain parts with a multimeter.<br /><br />Thanks<br />Steve

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Testing OMC coils, points and condensors.

Try here and look for "minimal test equipment": web page

Paul Moir

Admiral

I take it you're thinking of your 2hp.<br /><br />The coil is virtually impossible to test, but 99% of the time it fails from cracks or 'moss' in the insulation which is plainly visible to the eye. Resistances should measure ~.3 ohms on the two low tension leads (primary) and around 4-7kohms on the high tension side to either low tension lead. The variance depends on temperature and which particular version of the 'standard' ignition coil you're dealing with.<br />The condensor can be tested with a multimeter that has a 'farad' capacitor testing range. Most meters don't have this feature. They should measure 'open' or infinite resistance on the resistance scale, but that doesn't tell you anything nearly conclusive. If you do have that meter, they should test as somewhere between 0.18uF and 0.30 uF. But this test isn't conclusive either since sometimes they fail only at high voltage.<br />The points if clean any shiney have to work. You could test their closed resistance which should be close to 0 ohms.

steviecops

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the advice chaps. I was just wondering because I was convinced that my problem with the 2 hp was fuel related, yet it turned out to be electrical. If I could have tested the components, it would have saved me quite a bit of time!<br /><br />Thanks again<br />Steve

BillP

Captain

Points and condensors are so cheap it is good insurance just to replace them. Like Paul says you cannot check to a 100% conclusion unless the parts are 100% broken..intermittent faulting is tough to find so symptoms are used to steer you in the right direction...old coils normally fault when hot, points fault when pitted and pitted points are a sign of condensor not working properly. <br /><br />I've had points that looked good but didn't fire correctly until dressed with emory cloth. That was a tough one to find because they looked very good.