pull start not engaging

joe_morgan

Seaman
Hi all,<br /><br />occasionally the pull start on my 1975 40 hp evinrude engine wont engage. The cord pulls right out or engages half way out. I know what the problem is but I'm not sure if should: lubricate the three lugs that grab the flywheel, or remove any lubricant from the plastic plate that the lugs drag on to engage it when starting or if I need to tighten the bolt that passes through the starter unit. Sorry for the vague description but if any one has seen this should know what I am talking about.<br /><br />Cheers in advance.<br />BTW I LOVE THIS FORUM.<br /><br />Joe

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: pull start not engaging

Try lubing the lugs for starters, Joe. Go light with it so that you don't lube friction surfaces, too.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

joe_morgan

Seaman
Re: pull start not engaging

Thanks JB for the reply. The Lugs are actually quite well lubed. The "friction surface" as you have put it doesn't appear to be giving enough friction. Maybe they have got some grease on them. The bolt that passes through the unit also is very tight so I dont believe I can get any more tension out of it. I'l focus on the friction plate for the time being. What solvent could I use to flush any grease out, or should i just use a rag?<br /><br />Cheers<br />Joe